June 22, 2020
Lane Transit District (LTD) is reminding passengers that with warmer weather and students at local schools beginning summer vacation they need to take only essential trips, such as to jobs, doctor’s appointments, and grocery shopping. In addition, residents should continue to wear coverings over their nose and mouth, wash hands frequently, and stay home if they are sick, among other precautionary measures.
With Lane County receiving Phase 2 status from the state of Oregon for local communities to take the next step in reopening, LTD’s Monday through Saturday bus ridership now averages more than 10,000 passenger boardings per day compared to more than 35,000 passenger boardings per day prior to the pandemic.
LTD is taking many steps to limit bus operator and passenger exposure to COVID-19, including:
- Buses are cleaned nightly with strong, but safe disinfectants.
- District employees are regularly cleaning buses throughout the day at the Eugene and Springfield stations.
- Passengers are required to enter and exit from the rear door of the bus. Those passengers using the lift or who need assistance entering and exiting the bus can use the front door.
- Based on social distancing requirements, LTD limits its 40-foot buses to 20 passengers and 60-foot buses to 30 passengers, which normally carry 50 and 80 passengers, respectively.
- There is no fare charged to ride an LTD bus.
- Keep six-feet away from other passengers (social distancing).
As a result of the impacts of COVID-19 and to prioritize a health-first priority, LTD is operating a reduced level of service. Visit LTD.org or call LTD Customer Service at 541-687-5555 for more information.
Other LTD measures include:
- LTD employees have their temperatures taken before starting work each day and are sent home if they are sick.
- Since early April, most of LTD’s administrative, marketing, planning, and finance teams have been required to work remotely until further notice.
- Employees who do come to work are required to wear a mask, maintain social distancing parameters, wash hands frequently, and observe other healthy precautions as outlined by the state of Oregon and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
LTD asks passengers to follow health guidelines provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipes.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.”
Other Useful Links:
- Lane County Health and Human Services: www.lanecountyor.gov/coronavirus
- Governor Brown’s Press Office: www.oregon.gov/gov/pages/index.aspx
- Congressman DeFazio: defazio.house.gov
- Oregon Health Authority: govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19
- Federal Transportation Administration: www.transit.dot.gov/about/news
- Lane Transit District: www.ltd.org/covid-19